People who work for Zingerman’s have a unique opportunity. If they work hard and diligently, they have a chance to make their dreams come true. Charlie Frank and Derrick Thomas are two examples of folks who have worked in Zingerman’s and then have been able to go on and start their own companies. Charlie's business is Zingerman’s Candy Manufactory and Derrick will be opening his own restaurant in Warren in August. Here are a few of the key lessons they have shared with me about their success:
1. The first step in making your dreams come true means putting your dream out there for others to hear. This may mean some support, but it also may open you up to skepticism, criticism, and doubt.
2. Making your dream come true takes dedication and sacrifice, but will inevitably require facing distinct difficulties and unique challenges. While some of these challenges may be external, most of them occur within oneself.
3. The dream can only be realized with the support of people who believe in you. It takes a team of believers and mentors working with you over a long period of time to make you an overnight success.
4. To fulfill your dream, you have to demonstrate not only drive, but humility and appreciation of those who help you.
5. Like any good dream, just when you think you have reached it and remember it, you realize it remains always just a little bit out of reach.
Link for video from 5/17/13 CEO Connect: 5/17/13 CEO Connect.
For more tips by Dr. Rob, you can check out Balanced Leadership in Unbalanced Times.
Coach Rob Pasick