Monday, October 31, 2011

Manage Your Energy As Well As Your Time


I hear people saying, “I don’t have enough time.” As Mary Martin, a business owner in Holland, Mich., says, often what they really mean is they don’t have enough energy. As I coach, I first ask whether my clients feel engaged in their work. Then I ask about any family or health issues that may be preoccupying them. If there are some, I find out if there is any action they can take to resolve them. I also ask whether they are getting enough sleep, enough time at full rest and enough exercise.
These kinds of actions helped these leaders avoid the burnout that so often accompanies people in demanding roles. When you’re a leader, you don’t have to prove yourself with a superhuman effort or superhuman time commitment. Sustainability is more important. And to achieve that, you have to know what re-energizes you. It’s all about discipline and knowing what recharges your batteries.
· If you don’t know what re-energizes you, ask the people around you. Ask your mate what he or she notices about your behavior – when you’re up or down – and what led to it.
· Ask yourself the questions I ask clients: Are you fully engaged in your work? Are there family or health problems that are preoccupying you? Are you getting enough sleep? Enough full rest? Enough exercise? What action can you take now to begin to resolve the problem?

To find more coaching lessons, order www.readthespirit.com/balanced_leadership/

Coach Rob


No comments:

Post a Comment