These days people are working extremely hard. This only makes it more important than ever that they take their vacations. Without breaks, the hard work that your folks do is not sustainable.
Here are a few things you can do to encourage them to take vacations:
1. First and foremost, take a vacation yourself and let them know that you're planning to do this.
2. Communicate to your direct reports directly about their vacations and be sure that they have some time scheduled.
3. Tell them that you appreciate how hard they work and hope that they take the vacations that they deserve.
4. While you're at it, why not consider closing down for at least half a day every Friday to give your people some extra time off. They'll appreciate it and get more done during the week than you can imagine.
5. Or do as Scott Mertz does with his company,MC3, close down for the whole week of Fourth of July so that nobody is in the workplace and everybody gets a good break.
6. And what if you think you can't afford to have your people take a vacation? Then you better review your expectations, operations, and goals. Remember: all work and no rest, make a business fail.